Thursday, April 25, 2013

Themes

I have been pondering lately how unfocused my pottery is. I think it's due to there being so many different techniques to try.
I have absolutely no problem with having heaps of unmatched plates, bowls, and cups in my cupboard, but I think if I want to start selling some items I need to develop a style or theme.

I think I have about 3 emerging in general: Mushrooms, Chickens and Sea life. Chickens and Mushrooms are my type of design - I'm drawn to 70s style and I think that these fit in well with this. Sea life is much more to do with my roots. I come originally from a fishing village and  grew up with the fishing industry in different forms. Dad fished and supplied the Restaurant my Mum ran with Shellfish. Mum cooked and filleted fish before studying marine biology.

I'm thinking about doing more fish themed things. This will come as no surprise to P. You should see my pottery Pins.http://pinterest.com/zombiecazz/boards/
I had a look through Mum's fish identification Book to see if there are some cool coloured fish to use. So far I like the Opah, the Dragonets and the Lumpfish. Of course there is always the Salmon, crab, prawn and lobster too.
Anyway here's a little reminder of my interest in the sea.

Fish box made for my Mum. About my 3rd/4th item of pottery ever

That's my fish plate there too.

goblets

Salt Fish


This was inspired by seaweed floating in the sea.
My Octopus Bottle. Really must blog about him

Another salt fish drying out.

Tentacle Mug.
So it does look like the theme is already there, but I need to do loads more.

5 comments:

Caroline said...

What are the chances? A Caroline friended me on zibbet today and here there are two of us Carolines on Mud Colony. As I was about to read your blog I checked for comments on mine and there you were. Thanks for your comments. I love your creations! I especially love the tentacle mug, the blue teapot and the vessel next to the goblets with the chicken on it. I'm a bit of a chicken fan.

Anna said...

definitely a theme going there already :)

smartcat said...

I agree with Anna...you definitely have a theme(s). But don"t lose your joy in exploring ideas.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Cazz said...

Don't think I will ever stop playing with different themes. I mean I still have plenty of cupboard space.

JB said...

Love the octopus bottle. There is definately a theme going on here. The ocean seems to be a big influence. Keep exploring your ideas and refining the ones you already have