Sunday, February 22, 2015

Light Box

Finally got round to setting up a light box.
Spent £25 on lamps and £24 on 20w output 100watt light bulbs
Cut 3 big squares out of a cardboard box (both sides and the top. Then taped the holes over with white parchment paper. I then added a strip of wallpaper on the inside.

Faced a light towards each piece of parchment and hey presto one light box.

Here's some pic taken in my light box.

Taking pictures using the light box makes it almost effortless. I can get a good picture with one shot and even ones I'm happy with using the iPad.

I'm playing with vintage tattoo designs, hence the skull and the octopus in the pasta bowls above. Love them. Hope they turn out ok once glazed.

Saturday, February 7, 2015


Learnt a new technique from this video


I knew Mishima only from my pottery books, which called for carving clay then covering in coloured slip which you scrap off when dry. The above video and Diana Fayt
Use wax resist and underglaze. I love Diana's work, so I thought I would give it a go.

I started with some doodling

Friends really like the owl in the second photo, so this is the one I used. 

I'm really pleased with the results. 
Off course the proof will be the final glazed piece.

These pieces should end up as very pale green with black outlines and some little bits of colour yellow, green and purple.

You may also see a little influence from Kandinsky. I love some of his work. For example Composition VIII from 1923.

Monday, February 2, 2015

Image transfer for pottery

Have been reading and watching videos.

..on image transfer.

I really want to have a go. 

Anyway this started me thinking on what I would like to transfer and then I spent ages on pinterest looking at designs and came up with this basic design in procreate.

Now I'm sure I could do better if I used a pencil and paper. But I was too lazy to look one out.
Anyway I quite like this basic design. So I put it on a mug.

I then did a test run with the pattern roughly painted onto newspaper, then when dry pressed onto a damp slab. 
This seemed to work well. It's now on a slump mold as I plan to make it into a plate.
Will get pictures soon.